Wednesday, March 31, 2010

thinking about Easter

yesterday morning, i was so encouraged by the prayer I read out of Valley of Vision. While I feel like I understand the concept of justification (my being made right with God by the death of Jesus Christ and his righteous obedience), this prayer was so helpful to really get my arms around what it means to "rest in the righteousness of Christ" and not in my ability to obey God. I am often guilty of thinking and doing exactly what this author expresses, and it was so encouraging to think about the purpose of God's chastising me for my sin - for the effects that it has on my heart and my position before Him, rather than "shaping me up" or making me "get my act together."

This is so relevant to thinking about Easter this week. I know many people who reject Christianity because they assume it is a moralistic code and a life of trying to live perfectly and do all the right things. And we all know this is impossible and the great news is that it is an unnecessary burden to bear. Christ did not come to die in order that I might live a perfect life. He came to die exactly because I could not live a perfect life. As I think on His death and resurrection this Good Friday and Easter, this prayer is a beautiful reminder of why I am so grateful for His death and resurrection - it is because Christ came in human form, lived a perfect life of obedience, was killed and took upon Himself the wrath of God for the sin of the world, and was vindicated by God by being raised from the dead, reconciling me to God and therefore making all things new. The beauty of the Gospel is that I can never live perfectly, but my hope is not in my ability to obey perfectly - it is not even in my faith (that would be scary as my faith waivers at times) - my hope is in this work of Jesus Christ on my behalf. No wonder we sing with such joy on Easter morning! With it comes the hope of new life! I hope this prayer is as helpful for you as it was for me.

RELIANCE
My Father,
When thou art angry towards me for my wrongs
I try to pacify thee by abstaining from future sin;
But teach me
that I cannot satisfy thy law,
that this effort is a resting in my righteousness,
that only Christ's righteousness, ready made,
already finished, is fit for that purpose;
that thy chastising me for my sin is not
that I should try to reform, but only
that I may be more humbled, afflicted, and
separated from sin, by being reconciled,
and made righteous in Christ by faith;
that a sense of my sufficiency and ability in Him
is one means of my being immovable;
that I can never be so by resting on my own faith,
but by trusting in thee as my only support,
by faith;

No comments: