Tuesday, July 19, 2011

the food in nyc

we are a family that loves to eat.  we love trying new things, so living in an ethnically diverse community has immense benefits.  there is a vast array of restaurants on our one main walking path:  thai, indian, greek, middle eastern, bohemian, italian, chinese, mexican, japanese, korean, french, brazilian.... and the list could probably go on.  we rarely eat out in boston, so we're usually limited to my breadth of cooking.  it has been so fun for me to not cook very much this month and just try different things here.  i am paying close attention, asking lots of questions, and taking notes (literally) so that I can broaden my cooking horizons at home.

We went to a Brazilian BBQ buffet last week - $6.99/plate.  It was so delicious.  Jude ate my meat faster than I could cut it (he rarely gets meat, so I think he ate so fast in fear that the supply might end soon)!  This was my plate:

I had the best Green Curry at a nearby Thai restaurant - and the cashier has really taken to Jude, so we love to go by and visit sometimes.  The Chicken Tikka Masala we ate tonight was one of the best I've ever had.  But yesterday's lunch might take the cake for me so far.  We've mostly been eating pretty unhealthy compared to our normal diets (very few greens, lots of white rice, etc), and this poor baby boy inside of me is definitely getting second rate treatment compared to how I ate when I was pregnant with Jude!  So I was craving a really good salad this weekend.  Yesterday, we had the day off, so Greg, Jude and I went to Soho to walk around and grab a sandwich for lunch.  The only sandwich-ey place we found was from following a name on my iPhone - and we happened upon a JEWEL ... Le Pain Quotidien.  I love this place.  I love the freshly baked bread, the pastries, the way they mix flavors, and I love sitting at their communal tables.  We became fast friends with the family beside us as Jude thought it was his duty to provide entertainment for their meal.  Greg had a really delicious chicken, mozerella, and tomato open faced sandwich.  I captured a picture of his below.  I had the most wonderful salad I've ever had: a kale caesar salad.  It sounds plain - but it was so fresh, with the best combination of flavors and I can't wait to make it all the time when we get home. 


i promise i won't bore you with what we eat each day, but i am super excited to get back home and try lots of new foods - and if you'll humor me on my blog, then you can come over for dinner.

No comments: