Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gardening without a green thumb

So, it may or may not have been said of me that I kill every plant I own.  (Thanks, Leslie.)  Several years ago, upon returning home from a trip to Home Depot to adopt several new plants for my back patio, my friend Leslie saw them and commented, "oh.  poor plants ... they have no idea what fate has befallen them."  Very much unappreciated.  I try very, very hard to keep my plants alive...just usually unsuccessfully.  I typically forget to water them, so when I remember, I just assume that I should make up for lost time and I end up drowning them.  More recently a friend brought me a plant when I had gotten out of the hospital.  She said, "I love these plants.  They are impossible to kill."  Wow - that's great!  Unfortunately, I killed it too.

So needless to say, Greg was a little leery when I mentioned starting an herb garden.  But I assured him it was a good investment as I love to cook and buying fresh herbs every week gets really expensive.  So I ventured to Home Depot during one of Jude's naps, took Jude outside with me and we planted our herb garden together (well, he watched).

It's great because the rain naturally waters them :) and it does a much better job than I ever do.  And Jude and I usually go cut herbs for dinner during the day on one of our walks.  So it has been really fun.  I planted Thai Sweet Basil (makes a huge difference to have this fresh for Thai food), oregano, basil, dill, italian parsley, rosemary, and lavender.  here are the results!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

oregano is impossible to kill and blooms huge. basil will get eaten by bugs in the summer--beware! another good one is chives which can live on and on through winter and return the next spring, xoxo, sarah

greg and ginger o'brien said...

thanks for the tips sarah! i need all the help i can get!

leschiang said...

I'm nervous....but hopeful! Don't worry...I kill everything but ivy.