Thursday, October 28, 2010

Baby Food Project: Months 7-8

For those of you following the baby food project, I'm so sorry I haven't posted in a long time.  After deciphering a lot of what the book says and trying to create a "menu" plan for Jude's food, I've organized it in a way that I hope is helpful for some of you and cuts out some work for you! 

While I have always tried making healthy and well-balanced meals for Greg and myself, reading about making food for a baby and ensuring that they get the spectrum of vitamins and nutrients that they need for their rapid development, it has really challenged and made me re-think our eating habits.  I am cutting back in many ways (through coupons and meal planning) on my regular grocery budget to allow some room to go to the Common Crow (our local health food store - small, local version of Whole Foods) to buy natural foods and vitamin supplements.  
Jude is 8 months old and I am still introducing a new food every 3 days.  My friend, Lisbeth, suggested buying frozen veggies as you can often get organic frozen veggies for the same price (or cheaper) than fresh non-organic veggies.  This has been super helpful as it has also cut down on my food prep time for Jude because the frozen veggies are already washed and cut.  I just have to throw them in my steamer and puree them.  

Foods that I introduced during months 7 and 8:
Whole Grains:  Millet, Oat, and Brown Rice, wheat germ
Veggies:  summer squash, broccoli, asparagus, okra
Fruits:  apricots, apples, papaya, kiwi, cantaloupe
Protein: tofu, tahini, brewer's yeast, ground flaxseed, ground pumpkin seeds
Dairy:  yogurt
Vit/Mineral enhancers: brewer's yeast, kelp powder (seaweed), flaxseed oil, wheat germ

I hope it's encouraging to say that I didn't know about a lot of these things - didn't even know what kelp powder, flaxseed oil, brewer's yeast, etc etc were.  So don't think that you can't introduce them into your baby's diet if you're not that familiar with them.  I'm learning as I go and I have to look a lot of things up!  But I called my pediatrician to run those things by him first and he gave me the OK.  


The daunting thing for me was to try to figure out how to incorporate these things into meals and how much to give them, what combinations, etc.  So I put together a chart (b/c i'm a little type A over the top) and hopefully it will cut out some time for you. 

He nurses 4x/day and has three solid food meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.  


Breakfast:  Super Porridge meal (I grind large amounts of the millet, oat, and brown rice grains in my blender and store them in mason jars in my fridge.  I have one big mason jar in which i've mixed all three grains and that's what i use to make his multi-grain cereal from.  I make a batch every 3 days with 1 1/4 c. boiling water and 4 Tbsp of the mixed multi grains and let it cook on low for 10 min on the stove top.  I separate it into 3 food cups and store in the fridge.   Every morning, we grab one of the cups of cooked cereal and add the other things to it. This is what it consists of:
  • approx 1/3 c. cooked multi-grain cereal
  • 1 Vit C frozen cube
  • 1 super green frozen cube
  • 1/2 tsp. brewer's yeast
  • pinch of kelp powder
Lunch:  Yogurt-based meal.  I use Stonyfield Farm yogurt...it's local, organic, and thinner, less sugar than many yogurts.  I've been getting the YoBaby packs for $1 so I've been buying them lately as they are the perfect amount.  This is what goes in it:
  • 4 oz yogurt (plain)
  • 1 protein
  • 1 Vit C frozen cube
  • 1 Vit A frozen cube
  • wheat germ (about 1-2 tsp.)

Dinner:  smaller meal since I nurse him about an hour after dinner before he goes to bed.  This meal is:
  • 2 other fruits/vegetables
  • enhancer
These lists are posted on the wall, along with lists of what foods count in which food group category and we just kind of rotate through them.  Here are pictures of what that chart looks like if it helps you.

Jude is a big eater....and he eats everything I give him.  But don't be discouraged if your baby doesn't eat this much or is picky about things!  I also don't have much room in my freezer for anything but Jude's food (and ice cream, of course) because of the way I do it.  I use Tuesdays as my day to make his food - any food i've run out of and new foods I'm introducing that week. And I make big batches and freeze them.


I'd love to learn from you guys too!  What are some time-saving tricks you've learned, different foods you've introduced, ways of planning balanced meals, etc. etc.  Post if you can so we can all learn from each other!  I have so much to learn and would love to know the different ways and things you guys have found to work!

5 comments:

Erin said...

sooo....I had every intention of making my own baby food, until I saw all that. that completely overwhelms me! but it just proves again that you are a wonder woman! go Ging!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ginger! Our freezer looks the same as yours...unfortunately with no room for icecream. Now that Michael is 14 months and still eating purees (yeah...Allie would not at this age), instead of making cubes, I just freeze larger amounts in sandwich bags, mason jars, corningware, etc. so that every few days I just pull out a few more dishes. It has saved me lots of time since Michael eats such large amts. these days. Also - I have started steaming some of my frozen green veggies in the crockpot as well as cooking one large batch of greens together (something you can do when Jude is eating many varities of greens). These are the two big time savers that I've learned from Allie to Michael! Oh - and our Whole Foods just started carrying more frozen green products - kale (the ultimate super green), turnip greens, collard greens, etc. Poor Michael - his food looks absolutely disgusting these days - but he loves it! :)
Call me sometime - would love to catch up!

greg and ginger o'brien said...

Oh no flare! It's really not as complicated a it sounds (and you know I'm a bit over-the-top and enjoy these things!). You don't have to do complicated charts and vitamin enhancers... You can chop and purée food so easily and don't worry about all my hoopla. The charts make it easy for me and it makes it easy for Greg to throw his meals together every morning while I'm nursing Jude. Don't let me keep you from making your own food, please! It can be done so much easier than this - I'm just really havin fun with all the extra stuff and learning etc!

Caroline Cobb Smith said...

Ging, I have some questions! What are enhancers and what do they do? Also, why are Vitamin A and Vitamin C the important vitamins, and what is the point of feeding them apples, etc. if they don't have these vitamins in them? And what are some other super greens? Ellie is starting to eat more finger foods and I'm trying to figure out how to get her to eat more veggies. Love learning this stuff from you!

greg and ginger o'brien said...

Carol, the enhancers are things that you can sprinkle or put in their fruits adn veggies to give them additional vitamins/protein/minerals etc. The enhancers I give Jude so far are:
1. ground flaxseed - fiber, Omega-3s (more than they can get from eating fish several times a week!)
2. powdered kelp - high in iron, calcium and potassium & iodine
3. brewer's yeast - full spectrum of B vitamins & added protein
4. wheat germ - whole grains

The point in the Vit A and C cubes is just to ensure that they are getting daily dosages of those vitamins. Other fruits and veggies still contain other good vitamins and nutrition and vary their diet too. But I think because A and C are so important, the book suggests making sure they are eaten daily.

Other super green veggies: okra, asparagus, broccoli, kale (9 months old). Maybe steamed broccoli floret pieces would make a good finger food. Jude just started on puffs - so he hasn't quite mastered the finger food thing yet.:) she seriously needs to come back and teach jude her tricks! :) miss you much much much, sweet friend!