Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homemade Baby Cereal: Whole-Grain Brown Rice

    At six months, their digestive systems can now process more whole grains.  So I stopped using boxed cereals and started making my own.  I bought a big bag of whole-grain brown rice follow this recipe for "super baby porridge" out of the super baby food book:
      • I grind 1/4 cup of brown rice at a time in my Cuisinart blender.  Grind for 2 minutes.  Important to grind for the full two minutes to get it to a powdery texture.  I did multiple batches of about 3 cups total and put it all in a mason jar and store it in the refrigerator.
      • Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan on the stove.  Add 3 Tbsp of ground rice, whisk in, cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.  That's it!   This is what it should look like:
      • That makes enough for about 3 servings.  So I let it cool and then separate it into 3 containers and put in the refrigerator.  Then each morning, I just get one out, add a thawed cube of banana or peach to it, thin it with a little formula and it's ready!
      • He hated it the first two times I gave it to him!  I don't know if it was the texture or the taste, so that's why I started adding a little fruit to it and now he loves it! 

No comments: